Friday, September 26, 2014

117A- Gary Soto Project

Hey all!

Figured I'd post up my work from last semester in my first visual development class. Our assignment was to illustrate a story moment that could possibly be featured in a coming of age film inspired by the writings of Gary Soto.

We'll start off with some early development drawings. As I was reading through Soto's stories, I noticed that despite the overall happy tones of his stories, the struggles of the times of then were definitely apparent; his family was overworked and his stepfather was developing alcoholism due to being overworked and underpaid. I wanted to capture a moment of loneliness and betrayal that could have been caused by such a situation; the drawing on the very right of the first page captured the spirit of what I wanted the final piece to be.





For the isometric, I ended up constructing the entire scene in Maya. This was extremely helpful as it allowed me to worry less about constructing my own perspective and allowed me to figure out different layout views a lot faster.


Final line layout:


Value and color development. My professor showed our class some really good techniques on how to design the values in our scenes to make them read clearly.

Final lighting comp.


The final illustration.


No comments:

Post a Comment